It is a color

It's not entirely green, it's not entirely brown, it's not entirely black. It's just a color that blends to the nature.

Monday, August 18, 2008

My rides... USA

So my trip to USA was a sudden one. I didn't plan it, and a lot of sacrifice had to be made, but it's something needed, and I'm glad I made the trip. But this time I'm taking a different airline . Unlike the previous airlines namely Delta and American Airlines which forced me to take off from Frankfurt, this NorthWest airline which partners with KLM flies from Cologne to Amsterdam, and then to Memphis, and finally to Lafayette. And the best this is that, KLM uses Fokker 50 planes for regional flights.... PROPELLERSSSSSSssss! ^^ So does Northwest Mesaba in the USA, they use Saab though... but look how cool these planes are!You could already feel the vibration even before the engine started.
It's already almost 8pm at local time in Memphis when I took this. And you could feel the humidity absorbing into your skin once you got off the plane and walk around the terminals in Memphis International Airport.
And when you're in the sky.
And so, this is it. This is what this post is all about. My ride in USA ^^ Because we got some issues with my gf's old 3.0L V6 Toyota Avalon, her dad's kind enough to provide us with his brand-spanking new 5.3L V8 320hp Chevrolet Avalanche. It's a fullsize pick-up truck, and trust me... this one can go pretty damn fast. I told him I've never driven a truck before, or anything nearly as big that has four wheels, or a tank. He gave me a 5 minutes crash course, and handed me the keys. >__< I was nervous of course. I mean, it drives like a bus. You feel like you're sitting on a giraffe on the road, bodyroll is felt in every turn you make so it handles like an elephant too. And you think you're driving like 30kmph, but when you look at the speedometer, it's close to 100kmph!!
Yeah, I hate to say it, and I hated driving it at first, but I love the truck. It takes fuel like an ever thirsty camel taking water. I got at least twice low-fuel warnings while driving that beast(never before in my life I drive with low on fuel in a car...never because it makes me nervous). It has a tricky GPS navigational unit to mess around with, it even has a rear view camera and parking sensors all over, that takes about 5 seconds to do"assessing hazards surrounding the vehicles", and I get a lot of strange looks when I was behind the wheels. I guess it's strange to see an asian dude driving a $45k truck that guzzles fuel... Honda Accord, or Toyota Camry should be more like my kind of ride, but Chevy Truck... it's truly a truck built for big guys ^^ and you get attached to it quite easily too.

3 Comments:

At 8:46 PM, Blogger jasonow said...

Are those planes safe? Never tried before. 5.3L Truck - must be very very powerful. Next time must try if I have another chance to visit US.

 
At 4:18 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

hoho... thirsty car / high power car = not good for environment.

 
At 8:23 AM, Blogger Alex said...

Jason: Yeah they are safe, but the planes are small, so you'll really feel the turbulence in your stomach. Of course you must try the trucks, they are so much fun to drive!

Wong: You're right about thirsty, it only gives 14-20miles/gallon of petrol. Not very economical or environmental friendly, but it's a good experience and fun to drive.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yui