It is a color

It's not entirely green, it's not entirely brown, it's not entirely black. It's just a color that blends to the nature.

Monday, July 21, 2008

What was planned during the weekend?

So me and my good friend were having dinner at McDonald's near to my apartment in Efferen, and we're talking about life and work and all. I was telling him that what I'm doing now is not really me. I never wanted to be an engineer, and I still don't like being one. It's not easy to admit to that sometimes, because afterall... I've been in the industry for more than 11 years(I'm counting starting 1st semester in the university as the starting point here) and so far I've been comfortable with it.

The question now is that, what's next? I mean, at certain point in life, when you're too comfortable, you'd have to decide either if you would want to go further or you take a turn and go somewhere else.

I've got a couple of options here:-

1st is that I could do what I really love doing and have always liked doing... arts! I could either try my luck working in a production company which would be paying me peanuts for my work, or I could spend 4-5years in college and get a degree and then attempt to get a job which would probably be paying me peanuts anyway. That would also mean it's a major turn in my life, but my dream of having a double degree would be coming true, and I'd be happy if I die the next day, but I'd be penniless.

2nd would be me doing the so-called 'Right thing' and go further with what I do best, get a Masters in any engineering courses, spend 2 years trying to get my brain fried, and get more challenges are work, more frustration, and of course... you'd feel totally useful, and you'd be paid so well you'd forget all the negative elements at work and just makes you want to go back again tomorrow morning and battle with more challenges. I'd still be happy, but in not a very healthy way I guess, and my bank account would be full.

So finally I've decided that I could actually do both. I mean, at the peak of the time, you'd want to grab it, and make it better... means I'd probably be aiming for a Masters in engineering first, work for another 15-20 years, and then when I'm old enough to be called an old-fart, or when I've achieve full stability financially, then I could take a major turn in my life and do things I've always loved doing... go to college with a bunch of kids, get a degree in arts and do something funny and creative for a sack of bananas. I won't have a problem with that ^^ because I'll just be older, that's all.

Coming back to near future, what I'd really like to do is to take a roadtrip and drive all across America! My friend responded so positively towards that and he would want to do that with me in 2 years time too! So we said to each other that it's something that we wanted, and we'll most likely going to do it. It'll take us 4-6 weeks, but what the heck... roadtrip is only fun if you don't have to worry about work right? Since I'm a carnut and I've always dreamed about it... nothing but the road between me from one city to another.... so what I need to know now is the tool for my fantasy. I've narrowed down to a coupla choices again, and of course... anyone is free to suggest anything here ^^

This is a Pontiac G8(This is a GT version, and I like 361horsepower a lot)

And this is a Mazda 3(MazdaSpeed3 just looks cooler here)

6 Comments:

At 10:42 AM, Blogger Leo + Boon Hui said...

I have seen Alex art work and I must say 'you got talent'. Probably my suggestions would be continuing what u are doing and pick up some part time courses on art during your free time. Who knows u can kill two birds with one stone.

 
At 10:58 AM, Blogger Alex said...

That's too much of a compliment my friend, but thank you. I don't think I'm that good... but I'll keep doing it occasionally, but I hope that one day I'll be doing just that ^^

 
At 8:26 PM, Blogger Evie Redding said...

No Alex, you are a very talented artist. And when you are rich and famous, I can at least say I knew you! ^_^

Take night classes maybe, or go part time. You can do both like your friend said before.

 
At 2:54 AM, Blogger Unknown said...

Hey kawan,

If u want to get a ceft. for art. Go for something like comic/manga course.

Like what i experienced before... the course really get boring. Coz we have drawing skill, we want to draw not copy and paste a graphic and apply effect to it.

:), u should learn what a comic artist do and not from a graphic designer. What i think is, a graphic designer not really have the drawing skill.

:)

 
At 4:35 AM, Blogger Aran Chandran said...

You idiot! We could have actually been friends when we lived together.

I never wanted this engineer life either It sorta came my way and I rode the wave. I also have lots of love for art, though I've since put it aside.

However recently I've been interested to take up welding sculpture. Somehow incorporate my two worlds.

 
At 9:23 AM, Blogger Alex said...

Wong, I think there will be more doors opened for me, and more options later on. I won't do it now, I'll just draw casually and for fun as always just to practise and not wanting to lose any of it.

Aran, ^^ Yeap! I agree that I was rather irritating as a roomie. It was fun annoying you with crappy chinese songs from the radio I bought for RM50 from Extra with mono speakers at 7am when you just came back from your friends' at 4am :Þ
But welding sculture is cool man! And in Germany, that's something people here are truly good at! You should totally come here just to do that!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home

Yui